As the warmer weather sets in, we all start itching to get out of hibernation mode and into adventure mode. Whether you want to hit the trails on bike or foot, or glide on the water atop your preferred vessel, it is important to have the energy needed to sustain you throughout your quest.
Use these simple tricks and tasty treats to help boost your energy and get the most out of your outdoor activities.
Energy Boosting Food
Food is fuel, and you need the right balance to increase your energy for strenuous activities.
Protein and fiber help your body maintain a steady blood-glucose level, avoiding the dreaded crash that can be caused by consuming foods that are high in processed sugar. Combining complex carbs (vegetables and whole grains) with lean protein (fish, plain Greek yogurt) and fiber in your diet can help you feel satisfied longer and maintain steady energy levels throughout your activities.
Healthy Habits For Better Energy
Exercise is a well researched treatment for chronic fatigue syndrome. Regular exercise at moderate intensity for 2.5 to 5 hours per week is the current guideline for optimum physical health. So, the more active you are, the more energy you will have for more activity. Do more, gain more.
An often looked over component of increasing energy levels is making sure you drink an adequate amount of water everyday. Good hydration is key in maintaining energy levels throughout the day. Dehydration leads to decreased energy and concentration.
Small frequent meals that are easy to pack along with you are a good habit to start as you increase your level of activity. Trail mix, almond butter and carrot sticks are easy to transport and provide many of the energy boosting nutrients you need to stay charged.
Plenty of sleep at night means your body gets the chance to recover before your next adventure-filled day.
Dark Chocolate: Workout Benefits
Dark chocolate is a superfood that can help you be more superhuman. At least science backs it up as a fantastic pre-workout snack.
Dark chocolate contains carbohydrates and antioxidants (or flavonoids) which are both known to help your body perform better. With less refined sugar, dark chocolate is the preferred option over milk chocolate. The extra antioxidants in dark chocolate are heart healthy and reduce inflammation.
Chocolate also contains caffeine and mood stabilizing serotonin to help clear your mind and increase endurance. Plus, it tastes great!
If the weather is toasty, snack on dark chocolate pre- and post- workout to reap the benefits and avoid losing any to melting.
Before You Go: What To Pack
Before heading out on your next excursion, be sure to pack along these energy boosting aides.
- A water bottle- The first line of defense against fatigue is good hydration. Don’t head out without a quality water bottle, and be sure to hydrate consistently.
- Protein packed snacks- Lean protein combined with complex carbohydrates will keep you full longer. Trail mix that includes almonds, seeds, and dried fruit are a great lightweight option.
- Fitness tracking watch- Keep track of your workout with a GPS watch. It will provide you with instant feedback and motivation to push your previous achievements.
- Energy Chocolate- Including Chocamine®, a patented cocoa-based ingredient shown to provide sustained energy without jitters, alongside a blend of vitamins, taurine, L-Tyrosine, schizandra berry and green tea extract. Energy Chocolate offers a full day boost without the side effects associated with many other types of energy supplements.
- Brainy Chocolate- With botanicals including ginkgo biloba, bacopa and rhodiola, paired with a proprietary blend of amino acids, omega 3 fatty acids and Chocamine®, a patented cocoa-based ingredient that may help improve cognitive function, Brainy Chocolate brings you back to center with calm focus.
Order any variety of our chocolate bars today and see how they can help you in many ways!