As the long summer days shorten and mornings become crisper, there is an undeniable shift in the air. For many families, this time ushers in a heightened sense of anxiety about the upcoming school year. Fortunately, there are natural ways to reduce back-to-school stress for teens and their families.
Signs of Anxiety in Teens
Children and teens may exhibit anxiety in many ways. It is important to know your child and maintain open communication with them as they navigate complicated emotions. Some of the signs of anxiety and stress in teens may include:
- Struggling to focus
- Stomach aches
- Difficulty sleeping
- Change in appetite
- Sadness or negative thinking
- Irritability and anger
While the symptoms and intensity vary from person to person, knowing your child’s typical demeanor is the best way for you to assess their level of anxiety. Keeping open and safe communication will help your child feel comfortable while discussing their struggles with you. Helping your child understand these symptoms will allow them to better recognize when they are feeling stress and anxiety.
Once they recognize their symptoms, your child may feel empowered by using some self-soothing techniques.
How to Help Your Teen Deal With Anxiety
There are a number of ways to support your child or teenager through challenging feelings, naturally.
From regular exercise to soothing botanicals, there are many techniques that offer sustainable ways to manage stress and anxiety. Some ideas to consider are:
- Positive communication- Helping your child process their feelings in a supportive and positive way lets them know that you are a safe space for them to open up. Feelings of anxiety can be very overwhelming, and having a positive, compassionate adult to talk to will help kids start to sort out what is making them anxious.
- Healthy lifestyle choices- Drinking plenty of water and eating a balanced diet go a long way in regulating our energy and mood. Practice healthy habits as a family and share in the mood boosting benefits. Doing healthy activities, like biking, as a family are also a great way to bond.
- Botanicals- Herbs have been used throughout history to address many health realities. They are a natural alternative to over the counter medicines, and may help with reducing anxiety and stress. Some botanicals that have been linked to reducing stress are: lemon balm, kava, passion flower, and chamomile to name a few.
- Routines and expectations- Knowing what to expect can help reduce anxiety. Create an evening and morning routine that is consistent. When your child knows their routine, they feel more prepared for busy school mornings.
- Good sleep habits- A good day starts with a good night's rest. Make sure that your child is in bed at a reasonable hour every night to ensure they get enough sleep to recover from a busy day.
Botanicals That Fight Anxiety
Herbs have been used historically by many cultures to assist with relieving common ailments including stress and anxiety. Some common herbs used to fight anxiety are:
- Lemon balm- research and studies support that lemon balm may help with anxiety and sleep. It has been used by cultures throughout history to support various health issues.
- Kava- Grown primarily on tropical Pacific islands, such as Samoa, Kava is known to have a calming effect.
- Passion flower- A study showed that passion flower may be an effective treatment for generalized anxiety with possibly fewer side effects than prescription medications.
- Chamomile- commonly served as tea, chamomile may reduce anxiety and improve sleep.
Pack Some Functional Chocolate
Tuck just 2 squares in your student’s backpack or lunchbox for a treat that calms and helps them make it through their day with more ease.
Carefree Chocolate- This tasty bar is a naturally derived formulation of herbs, botanicals and clinically researched and patented Pharma Gaba® & L-Theanine that were blended together in our decadent dark chocolate to help ease anxiety and stress. A few nibbles may help your teen ease into their day with less anxiety.
Brainy Chocolate- Maintaining focus for 7-8 hours a day can be a stretch for many teens. A couple squares of this bar which is made with a combination of trusted botanicals including ginkgo biloba, bacopa and rhodiola, paired with a proprietary blend of amino acids, omega 3 fatty acids and Chocamine® will help your teen sustain their focus and attention so they don’t miss a beat.
Energy Chocolate- Stress is a huge energy zapper! If your teen starts to feel sluggish by the afternoon, they may enjoy this bar. Espresso Crunch Energy Chocolate is designed to lift energy and vitality without jitters.
School Daze 6 Pack- Bundle and save with this pack! When you order our School Daze 6 Pack, you get 2 Carefree, 2 Brainy, and 2 Energy bars. It’s the perfect way to give your teen a treat and kick off the school year with less stress.
Order any variety today for your health realities.