There is a lot more that goes into the winter season than playing in the snow and sipping warm drinks by a cozy fire.
First of all, you have to procure the wood needed to make that cozy little fire, and before you can enjoy said fire, someone’s got to shovel the driveway and scoop up the frozen dog poo in the yard. Yep, it’s not always about having fun in the fluffy white stuff.
From seasonal depression to sore muscles and joints, there are plenty of ways that your health realities can throw a wrench in your day to day activities. This blog looks at some common issues that can impact your winter season, as well as some tips to help overcome your wintertime woes.
The arrival of winter can usher in increased feelings of sadness and anxiety for many. Seasonal Affective Disorder can affect people in a variety of ways, but some of the most common complaints include:
- Feeling an increase in depression or anxiety.
- A change in sleeping patterns, often sleeping too much.
- More fatigue or lack of energy.
- Loss of interest in preferred activities.
While the cause of SAD has yet to be proven, there are experts who believe the change in season can cause fluctuation in our hormones and circadian rhythm which can lead to an increase in these health complaints.
It is important to work on alleviating these feelings and not ignore them or let them fester. Some things to consider if you are trying to overcome seasonal blues include:
- Regular exercise - movement is one of the most dependable ways to lift your mood. Whether it is a yoga class or a nice brisk walk, moving your body on a regular basis is a great way to clear your mind and get some endorphins flowing.
- Keep a schedule - following a schedule helps you feel more in control and it will keep you on track with scheduling time for self care, exercise, and rest.
- Botanicals - There are a variety of herbs that have been used by different cultures through history to treat mood imbalances. Some common ones include: lemon balm, passion flower, chamomile, and English peppermint to name a few.
Our Carefree Chocolate offers up a combination of these botanicals along with clinically researched and patented Pharma Gaba® & L-Theanine to promote a sense of calm that doesn’t leave you feeling drowsy.
Post-Holiday Brain Drain
Running the gauntlet of holiday parties and extra family time (along with the added booze) can leave you feeling drained after the glitter has settled. Throw a little jet lag into the mix, and you are bound to feel more than a little dull.
The key to overcoming post-holiday brain fog is to be kind to yourself and have a plan. Start with giving yourself time to adjust. Traveling on Friday or Saturday gives you a day or two to settle in before getting back to the grind. You’ll have some time to get your laundry done and make a list of essential to-do’s. Turn in a little early so you are sure to get ample sleep.
When you go to work, pack along some Brainy Chocolate to keep in your drawer to help you get over any slumps you may feel throughout the day!
Slips and strains account for the majority of wintertime injuries. If you want to avoid injury, there are a few easy ways to help keep yourself upright and safe.
- Slow down - Give yourself more time to get from point A to point B so that you aren’t in a rush. You won’t get the trash out any faster if you take a tumble in the driveway! Also, leave a few minutes early for work so you don’t have to dash across an icy parking lot.
- Listen to your body - If you are starting to sense some aches and pains, take a break or tap out. Don’t have someone to share the shoveling load with? Check with neighbors or hire a person to help.
- Have a soak - Mix some epsom salt in a hot bath and feel the tension release.
Painfree Chocolate - Loaded with time-tested botanicals like turmeric, boswellia serrata, white willow and arnica teamed with clinically researched benefits of hops, this sweet Chai treat will help melt away your pain.
You don’t have to suffer through your winter time aches and pains! Taking care of yourself and planning ahead will go a long way in helping you avoid common health complaints during the chilly months ahead. Plus, we have a yummy variety of chocolates to provide some extra support.
Looking for a Tasty Way to Ease Wintertime Health Realities?
Order one of our curated kits and tackle your most stubborn winter health woes.