The symptoms of menopause can range from mild to the seventh level of hell. If you do not understand the comparison, you most likely haven’t yet experienced the joy. For those who have, any relief from the symptoms of menopause is a welcome beacon of hope. The treatments available for menopause relief are diverse and include hormone therapy, prescription medication, and holistic therapies. We’ll be delving into the functional options and how nutraceuticals can help bring balance and ease.
Menopause will typically occur in a menstruating person between the ages of 45 and 55. It is considered as happening after an individual has missed 12 periods. While symptoms and intensity vary, many express discomfort with: hot flashes, vaginal dryness and painful intercourse, insomnia, loss of sexual desire, and depression/mood swings.
Hot flashes are the most synonymous with menopause and are described as a sudden rush of heat in the upper body. For some, it is easily treated while others experience more life altering intensity.
Navigating Treatment for Menopause
Treatment for menopause can include:
- Hormone Therapy- Depending on a variety of factors, doctors may use some combination of estrogen and/or progestin. Things your doctor will need to consider are your personal and family history, if you still have your uterus, risk factors for cancer and other health problems.
- Antidepressants- SSRI’s may be used in lieu of estrogen, for some, to decrease hot flashes.
- Lifestyle Changes- Probably the most straightforward method, but the hardest to pull off at times. Regular exercise, not smoking, and maintaining a balanced diet are simple changes that can have an impact on menopausal symptoms in addition to other ailments. You can also dress in breathable layers and practice relaxation techniques.
- Nutraceuticals and Alternative Medicine- Many have found relief through alternative methods such as acupuncture and yoga. There are also plant estrogens found in legumes and whole grains that may help curb symptoms of menopause.
Hot Flash Cool Down
As mentioned above, there are a number of at-home remedies you can employ to extinguish (or at least subdue) your hot flashes.
- Stay hydrated- Hot flashes can happen anytime, anywhere. Stay hydrated to assist your body's natural cooling system and be sure to include some electrolytes when you are sweating more.
- Layer- Keep breathable layers that are easy to shed and put back on. Sleep in breathable clothing and bedding as well to make nighttime more pleasant.
- Cool snacks- Think of all those frozen goodies you fed your teething baby to soothe their aching gums. Keep an array of fruits and yogurt in the freezer to gnaw on when you need to chill.
- Cold sachets- Like the one you could heat up for killer cramps, quality heat pads can also be chilled. Drape one over your shoulders or across your chest for quick relief.
- Ease up on stress- hot flashes tend to be stronger when you are feeling stressed. Take time to practice mindfulness and breathing techniques to keep intense hot flashes at bay,
Functional Approach to Menopause Relief
For natural remedies, people have turned to help from nutraceuticals for centuries. Herbs like red clover, dong quai, black cohosh, and evening primrose have been shown to reduce hot flashes in many.
Our Hot Chocolate boasts the power of these botanicals in addition to licorice root extract and vitex with hormone balancing effects.
For better sleep during menopause, Sleepy Chocolate harnesses the power of chamomile, valerian, lavender, passion flower and lemon balm PharmaGaba®, magnesium and melatonin to ease you into deeper sleep.
Stress is shown to increase hot flashes! Be proactive in keeping stress levels down with help from Carefree Chocolate! It’s the perfect blend of botanicals and clinically researched and patented Pharma Gaba®, & Suntheanine® L-Theanine which are shown to bring a sense of calm without drowsiness.
Order any combination of your favorite bars today! They’re too hot to ignore.