· By Roxanne Benefiel
Health Problems Caused By Stress and How Botanicals May Help
It should come as no surprise the stress and anxiety levels are higher than ever in 2022. An increasingly common topic of discussion among health experts are the health problems caused by stress. With stress triggers on the rise from inflation to traumatic global and domestic events, it is important to be educated on the implications of stress and how to prevent severe health problems through reducing stress.
The American Institute of Stress posted a poll conducted by the American Psychological Association, and the results were troubling.
Among the highest stress factors reported by participants were: supply chain issues, inflation, fears over potential war and cyber attacks, and money/economic issues. With 65% of those participating expressing stress over money, it represents the highest percentage reported in more than six years.
The survey also found that 70% of parents are experiencing significant stress over the well-being and social development of their children since the onset of the pandemic.
What Your Level of Stress Says About Your Health
Stress and anxiety are the tip of the iceberg when it comes to impacts of mental health on physical health. While some stress reactions are good for us, chronic stress can lead to more severe health risks.
Chronic stress may lead to:
- Diabetes- an increase in blood sugar is your body's way of increasing energy levels to be able to fight, but it becomes problematic when it is elevated too long or frequently.
- Heart disease- Stress can trigger inflammation which in turn may lead to poor heart health.
- Hypertension- Heightened blood pressure from stress triggers may lead to a more chronic issue.
- Burnout and fatigue- While a rush of adrenalin may be needed to get through an emergency situation, it can lead to extreme burnout when unchecked.
Fortunately, stress doesn’t have to stay in the driver’s seat. There are herbs and supplements to manage stress levels and keep your mind cruising in zen mode.
Herbs and supplements that boost feel good hormones include:
- Chamomile- Packed with antioxidants and known for its calming properties, chamomile is a great herbal remedy for combating stress.
- Lavender- It smells heavenly and can be used as aromatherapy or ingested.
- GABA- A neurotransmitter that calms the mind and eases racing thoughts. GABA intake may help with reducing stress levels.
- Lemon balm- Helps block the breakdown of GABA in the brain and sustains the feeling of being calm and relaxed.
- L-theanine- An amino acid found in green tea. It is known to promote relaxation.
Treat Yo Self!
If you’re not one for tea or essential oils, or maybe you enjoy those but want to try a new delivery method for nutraceuticals, Functional Chocolate may be the perfect mood enhancing treat.
Carefree Chocolate is packed with a soothing blend of herbs and botanicals including: L-theanine, Pharma GABA, chamomile, lemon balm, and more. This formulation is shown to promote an alert state of relaxation that doesn’t make you drowsy.
Bundle and save if you aren’t sure where to start. These curated kits include a combination of our most popular products hand selected to address a variety of health realities.
Order any variety of our chocolate bars and discover the feeling for yourself.